Lesson Nine: Hide and Seek Animals

This week, I wanted to continue trying integrate science curriculum with art while also incorporating more art standards and background. In week seven, we learned about different animal habitats, and what makes it possible for different animals to survive in different habitats. This week, I wanted to build off of that lesson and narrow down the focus on just the rainforest habitat and examining what animals AND plants can live and survive there.

We started just by brainstorming some different animals and plants that can be found in the rainforest. and I wrote these on the board. Then, I asked students to think about why these things can survive in the rainforest and not in other habitats? We brainstormed different characteristics of the rainforest that allow these plants and animals to survive there, like shelter, food, temperature, and camouflage.

I explained that for this lesson, we're going to be focusing on how animals and plants work together to create camouflage in the rainforest. To solidify this, I introduced our feature artist: Henri Rousseau; a French painter who was known for painting jungle scenes with hidden animals. As a class, we looked at a couple examples of Rousseau's work in which animals were hidden. (We viewed this powerpoint.) I had the students identify which animals they saw, and how they were camouflaging themselves in the rainforest habitat.

As the art standard for this lesson, I introduced the students to the elements of color and space. I explained how Rousseau was using color to camouflage some of his animals by painting the animals near a similar colored plant (ex: monkeys near a brown tree branch). Similarly, he used space to camouflage certain animals by filling up the entire picture with plants, and then painting the animals behind those plants. There wasn't any empty space for the animals to be on display, so he hid or camouflaged them behind the plants. In later examples, students were able to use this terminology of color and space in order to explain how the animals they saw were camouflaged in the painting.

For our art project, each student created their own 'hide and seek animal' artwork using crayons, colored pencils, and construction paper. I had students first pick one animal that lives in the rainforest, and draw that animal on a white piece of paper. I explained that even though some animals are bigger or smaller than others, I wanted them to draw their animal as big as they could on their white paper so they could see it easily.


Then, once students had their animals drawn, we cut out different rainforest plant leaves and vines out of green construction paper. The students used these to place around their animal drawings in order to camouflage it from people who would look at their artwork. Once they had a plan on where they wanted to place their plants, they glued down the edges of the construction paper. This way, the animal was camouflaged, but the plants could be pulled back to reveal what rainforest animal each student had drawn.

I was impressed by the creative liberty these students took in their projects. We had talked about space and color, but I didn't specifically mention that they had to use these in their drawings. However, I had several students choose to draw their animals in a green or similar color so that their color also helped them camouflage behind the leaves. Additionally, we had brainstormed a list of potential rainforest animals on the board, but many students thought of a different animal that they wanted to draw. I love how when I leave projects like this a little open ended, students pick up that slack and use their creativity! I feel like they learned so much more about habitats and animal/plant survival because they were so involved.


I am continually impressed by these students and their creativity. Although I started this experience with the notion that every child (and person) is an artist, these students have only validated and strengthen that belief. This lesson was so bittersweet. Even though it was our last art project and I'm so sad to not be teaching in Mrs. Whipple's class each week, I've learned so much about who I am as a teacher and what arts integration really is in this process. Children need to be creative, to have outlets to express themselves and alternative ways to learn content, and the arts are a great resource for that. The arts are necessary instruction tools and learning components, not just byproducts or time-fillers. This ArtsBridge experience has not only confirmed my belief in and support of arts integration in the classroom, but has given me tools on how to actually incorporate it. I'm so excited for Mrs. Whipple's class to continue the rest of their year with their "artist hats" on, and for my next teaching experience to keep helping students learn through the arts. 

As Socrates said, "Wisdom begins in wonder."

**I've posted a link to my lesson plan for this week under the 'Resources' page of this blog.




Comments