Lesson One: Growing Mandalas

Albert Einstein said, "Creativity is intelligence having fun", and this definitely rang true for me as I watched Mrs. Whipple's students throughout our first lesson. I haven't been to too many classrooms so far in my career, but I'm pretty sure these second graders are among the coolest, brightest, and most creative that I've ever seen. I never expected them to take their creative liberty to the extent they did, and it made for some very unique artwork.

Before our main art lesson, I wanted to create and introduce the our art class learning environment. We discussed the definition of art- that its something that is made, and how everyone is already an artist. Then, I introduced our 'Art Rules' poster and explained each rule and why it is important to creating our art class community:

  1. Respect other artists and their work.
  2. Use art supplies only as shown by the teacher.
  3. Be unique! Use your imagination!
  4. Clean up after yourself & put artwork and art supplies away properly.
Lastly, my focus this semester (as evidenced by the title of this blog) is that everyone is an artist. To emphasize that with Mrs. Whipple's second graders, I gave them some tools that all professional artists have: a portfolio and a sketchbook. Student portfolios are where individual artwork will be collected in preparation to show it, and their sketchbooks are free spaces where students can just get out their creative energy and ideas when we have extra time. 





This week, we learned about the art of mandalas, or circle-shaped artworks of repeating patterns. Mandalas date back to early Asian history and have existed throughout time as a means of self-expression. We learned that even though all mandalas are different, they all start the same; with a 'seed' or center point. We looked at examples of different types of mandalas, making sure to note the 'seed' and some of the patterns in each. Then, we watched a video demonstrating the specific method of mandala drawing we would be using in our class today. In this type of mandala, students are required to keep track of the patterns that they used along the side of their paper as a sort of legend. We brainstormed ideas for different types of patterns on the board (letters, numbers, animal faces, swirls, stars, etc.) and then students were set on their own to start growing their mandalas.


The students were a little wary of using a pen/marker to draw their mandalas in case they made mistakes, but after a little bit of hesitancy they settled in and felt more confident. I was surprised by how quiet the classroom got while the students were working- they were very focused! They did a great job of being unique with their patterns and not just copying the examples we looked at or just using the patterns we had brainstormed together. I had a lot of students use original pattern ideas that I never would have thought of like icons of trees, 'abc', and smiley faces. As students filled their papers with the patterns of their mandalas, they went back and colored in their patterns, which added a new dimension of originality and uniqueness.  I was very impressed with their creativity and I do think, as Einstein said, that it speaks to their intelligence as well. When students finished, I gave them the option of drawing in their sketchbooks or trying a new mandala design on a scratch piece of paper. I was surprised that most of my fast finishers chose to do another mandala! Their ideas were endless and they wanted to keep creating. After we cleaned up, we reviewed as a class the art form we learned about (mandalas), what it meant, who artists are (everyone) and what art is. The hour went by a lot faster than I thought it would because the kids were so engaged and enthusiastic! I'm excited for this semester and to see these second graders use their creativity and knowledge in new and exciting ways!

**I've posted a link to my lesson plan for this week under the 'Resources' page of this blog.





Comments

  1. I love the pictures of student work and the fact that the students who finished quickly wanted to do another one! Looks like your efforts to set up the classroom environment really paid off! Can't wait to read more about your experiences this semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually still get students who'll come up to me and tell me they draw mandalas at home- they're so creative!

      Delete

Post a Comment